The RSPCA believes that the live export of animals for slaughter should be replaced with an increased trade in chilled and frozen meat.
Did You Know?
- Sheep and beef meat exports are worth seven times more to the economy than live animal exports
- All countries that take Australian animals also take Australian chilled and frozen meat
- Australia has a successful Halal abattoir industry
- In 2011 19,212 sheep died on boats on their way to their destination
- Most animals slaughtered overseas are not stunned first - they are fully conscious as their throats are cut
Every year millions of Australian sheep, cattle and goats are sent on gruelling voyages overseas just to be slaughtered once they get there. This meat may then sit on the supermarket shelf right next to Australian meat that was sent there in a box.
The difference is a world of suffering.
What else can you do?
- Follow our campaign updates